Speech & Language Therapy (SALT)
Children's Speech & Language Therapy - Heywood, Middleton, Rochdale (HMR) Community
Welcome to the Children’s Speech and Language Therapy Team. The team is part of the wider Children’s Integrated Community Health Service.
We are based at Callaghan House in Heywood.
We are also located across Heywood, Middleton and Rochdale in other community settings such as clinics and schools.
- We work together with parents, carers, nurseries, schools and other professionals to support children with their speech, language and communication needs.
- We work with children in different settings including clinics, schools, nurseries, Children’s Centres and homes.
- Triage of new requests for the service.
- Advice on speech, language and communication needs (SLCN) in children and young people.
- Assessment of a child/young person's speech, language and communication skills .
- Evidence-based group and individual therapy for speech, language and communication needs.
- Advice and therapy programmes that are carried out with the child or young person by parent, carers and teaching staff
- Formal reports on children and young people's speech, language and communication needs as required.
- Advice and support in home languages may be provided by a Speech and Language Therapy Assistant or the Interpreter Service.
- Sign posting and referral to other services such as Audiology, the Child Development Team and charitable organisations such as Barnardo's .
- Our specialist teams include:
- Complex Needs
- Augmentative and Alternative Communication
- Developmental Language Disorder
- Dysfluency (stammering)
- Dysphagia (feeding and swallowing)
- Hearing Impairment
Where to find us
Our main base is at Callaghan House in Heywood.
Cross Street, off Green Lane
We also offer services from the following clinics:
Rochdale: Nye Bevan House, The Croft Shifa Health Centre
Littleborough: Littleborough Health Centre
Heywood: The Phoenix Centre
Middleton: Langley Clinic
Your appointment letter will tell you where your appointment is.
You can use the Getting Help Portal to request help/make a referral.
We accept referrals from:
- Parents and carers (self-referral)
- Education Staff
- Health Professionals
- Social Care professionals
Please visit the websites below for advice and information on speech, language and communication needs:
BBC Tiny Happy People
Greater Manchester (GM) 10 Tips for Talking
These are also available in: Arabic, Bengali, Cantonese, Farsi, Hebrew, Mandarin, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Spanish, Turkish, Urdu and Yiddish. Follow the link.
Stamma – Information about stammering
See ‘resources’ tab for resources for children and young people
Resources about speech, language and communication difficulties, and Developmental Language Disorder
This is a list of all Sure Start centres in the borough.
See the Local Offer and Children and Families tabs for information about communication-focussed groups for your child in the area.
This is our Facebook page with information and updates.
Children’s Integrated Community Health Service, Children’s Speech and Language Therapy, Cross Street, Heywood, OL10 2DY